Information updated September 16, 2021. smarTours will continue to monitor and review this policy as the global situation evolves.
We’re ready to travel again. And we’re ready for you!
The health and safety of our travelers, as well as our team members, local partners and the communities we visit are our top priority. smarTours has implemented the following policies and practices to protect the health and safety of our guests. We will continue to monitor and adjust our guidelines as entry restrictions and local guidelines for visiting venues and using transport continue to evolve. By traveling with smarTours, you agree to comply with these guidelines.
COVID-19 vaccination requirement:
- smarTours requires all guests to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to travel for select tours in 2021 and ALL TOURS IN 2022. There are no exceptions to this requirement, which is in place until further notice. 2021 departures requiring full vaccination are detailed below. Being fully vaccinated not only protects the safety of your group, but will also facilitate enjoyment of your trip as many destinations and individual venues now require vaccination.
Destination-specific travel and entry requirements:
- Additional, destination-specific entry requirements may apply, as well as requirements enforced by airlines, government agencies and local businesses.
- Because local requirements are updated regularly, special requirements for each destination will be communicated immediately prior to departure. They can also be found on our travel restrictions by country page, which is updated daily.
Resources before you depart:
- You will receive our action plan for emergency situations, including what will happen if someone on your tour tests positive for COVID-19, as well as a list of health services and institutions available at each destination.
Note: As we attempt to share the most up to date information with you prior to departure, the Tour Docs about your trip may arrive a little later than usual. We appreciate your patience!
Safety requirements while on tour:
- Face coverings must be worn on local transportation, including while traveling onboard our tour buses and on excursions.
- Face coverings must fully cover both your nose and mouth. smarTours will make masks available where possible, but we recommend that you bring masks that you feel comfortable wearing.
- Travelers must follow our partner and tour director requirements with respect to mask wearing and social distancing, as advised during the trip.
- Travelers are also required to comply with any local government regulations regarding use of masks, social distancing and vaccination requirements, such as providing proof of vaccination at venues when required.
Enhanced safety and hygiene protocols in destination:
- smarTours will require that buses and other modes of transportation be disinfected daily.
- Additional face coverings and cleaning products will be available where possible.
- Tour guides will avoid crowded locations as much as possible.
- Daily housekeeping services may be suspended by request.
- Contactless check-in will be available when possible.
- Buffet meals will be limited or suspended where alternatives are available.
- Masking and social distancing practices will be in effect, as noted above.
If a passenger becomes ill prior to or during the trip:
For peace of mind, we strongly encourage all guests to purchase travel insurance and have a full understanding of their medical, trip interruption and cancellation coverage prior to travel.
In the event that a passenger becomes ill or shows symptoms of Covid-19 prior to travel, we ask in good faith that the passenger get tested, and notify smarTours immediately of a positive result and withdraw from the trip.
Should a passenger become ill or show symptoms during the tour, smarTours will work closely with our local partners to manage the safety of everyone in the group. Procedures on each tour will vary based on the local regulations and resources, but will follow these general protocols:
- The Tour Director will ensure the individual(s) are tested and isolated prior to receiving the results. A traveler or travelers who test positive cannot return to the tour.
- The tour group will be made aware of identified potential risks and have access to additional testing if requested (at their discretion and cost or that of the local authorities).
- If an individual needs to quarantine and receive treatment the Tour Director will arrange for that, however, travelers are liable for the cost of quarantine and treatment.
- smarTours will work with individuals who are unable to return to the tour and have booked the smarTours air package to secure alternative travel arrangements where possible.
Returning to the US:
- All travelers returning to the U.S., including those who have been vaccinated, must provide a negative, viral COVID-19 test issued no more than 3 days prior to departure or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 from your healthcare provider, in accordance with CDC guidelines. NOTE: smarTours will arrange testing for the group in destination. The cost of the test varies by destination.
2021 DEPARTURES: VACCINATION AND SCREENING REQUIREMENTS
While smarTours is not enforcing a vaccination requirement for all tours until January 1, 2022, several destinations already require vaccination for entry into the country, or for entry into specific venues visited during the tour. Please check the table below for your trip.
Vaccination, Negative Test or Proof of Recovery Required
- Amazon River Cruise
- Best of New England
- Colorful Costa Rica
- Cape Town & Safari Express
- Enchanting Peru
- Fall for New England
- Journey through Civil Rights
- Journey through Jordan
- Kenya Wildlife Safari
- Majestic Morocco
- South Africa Highlights & Safari
- Spectacular Greece
- Splendors of Egypt
- Treasures of Turkey
- Women Only: Journey through Jordan
- Women Only: Treasures of Turkey
- The Best of Italy
- The Best of Spain
- Deluxe Dubai & Abu Dhabi
- Jewels of the Adriatic: Croatia & Slovenia
- Spirit of Iceland & Northern Lights
- Germany Christmas Market
- Treasures of Portugal
- Unforgettable France
- Women Only: Spirit of Iceland & Northern Lights
Full vaccination is strongly recommended for all travelers for ease of travel. If you are traveling on a 2021 tour where vaccination is not required (see table above), you must submit one of the following prior to travel:
- Proof of full vaccination completed at least 14 days prior to departure.
- A negative, viral COVID-19 antigen or PCR test issued no more than 3 days prior to departure.
- Documentation of recovery from COVID-19 within the last 3 months prior to travel from your healthcare provider. Proof of recovery also requires that you meet the CDC criteria for ending isolation.
Note: Vaccine entry requirements are changing frequently. smarTours will communicate with guests if the entry requirements for your tour change prior to departure.
2021 smarTours Safety Packs
Safety packs are available to travelers with an address in the continental U.S. on a tour departing in 2021. If you are traveling on a 2021 tour, please call to confirm that smarTours has your mailing address on file. If no mailing address is provided or the only address recorded is outside of the continental U.S, a safety pack cannot be sent.